Sunday, November 2, 2008

For the Love of It

Approaching adult life, we as college students are forced to make a decision: follow a passion or walk down the path of practicality. The answer may be quite obvious to some, but for others it is not always so easy.

I've always considered myself the "artistic" type. I absolutely love singing, writing, drawing...you get the idea; however, being a gifted math student, my parents were constantly pushing me down that path. Engineering was the future my parents sought for me, but I wanted nothing to do with that. I hated math and I will continue to hate math as long as I live; it's simply far too structured for my liking. So as I began my college career I decided that it was imperative that I follow a true passion of mine, writing.

Now, the question to be asked is "Do I consider myself an amateur writer?" and the answer is "Absolutely." Writing is most certainly not what I'm most gifted in, (though I do believe I'm able to put together a few decent sentences) but it is something I feel extremely passionate about. I firmly believe that if you love what you do then the work done will be far more valuable than any work for a meaningless obligation. Your career should be your passion. It should be a vocation not a job.

Peace, Love
Evan

1 comment:

Caitlyn said...

I think this is a good choice. You are correct many people face a decision that is not so easy for them to make. I think more and more young people are choosing a career path of passion then that of money or one their parents want. I think many young people get out of high school and see it as a chance to actually study what they want which is their passion.