Wednesday, April 9, 2008

MCS Lecture Series: Jed Dietz & Laney Solomon

"Preparing for a Career in the Media: A Media Professionals Talk"

I attended another MCS lecture last night in the Skylight Room at the Commons. Jed Dietz was the first to talk. He spoke about a film festival moving to Baltimore and he also gave some tips about getting ahead in the film industry. His main points were "show up on time and do more than you are asked." I had never thought of pursuing a career in visual media, I think of myself as more of a writer; however, he made the industry sound quite appealing. His lecture made me wonder if I could dabble in visual arts and I began reflecting on my experience in Digital Multimedia...I think this could be a stimulating side project.

Laney Solomon spoke second. I found her lecture was uninspiring and boring. She talked about gearing a print media focus toward advertising. This didn't seem to be a very tempting career path. I honestly had very little desire to listen to her.

Peace, Love
Evan

No comments: